⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️

⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️ ⚓️

Thursday, May 26, 2016

May 23 - 25, 2016 Perdido Key

May 23 - After getting back from our trip home and our visit with Barry and Paula it was time to decide what we should do.  The temperature is starting to get warm and we really wanted to be back home before it got too hot and storms start brewing in the gulf.  Anchoring, when it's really hot is not going to be fun, especially for Teak!  After doing some homework we have decided to start heading home after Memorial weekend because slips may be hard to get during the holiday and we already had one secured at Palafox.  Not a bad place to be and we should have some great fireworks!

What to do until then?  A guy at the marina told us that the Baytown Wharf Marina in Destin was a really nice place so we called them to see if we could get a slip but they were full, nothing available before the holiday and not soon after. School is out, it's summer time and everyone's vacationing in Florida!  I also wanted to stop at the Holiday Marina in Perdido Key for a few nights and when we called them they were able to give us a slip for a few day but were also booked full for Memorial weekend.

Off we headed to Perdido Key!  What a beautiful day and stay.  I am in heaven!



As we were almost to the marina a dinghy went by us and we waved.  Later in the afternoon that dinghy stopped by on their way back and it was Ben and Trisha on M/V Contraband!  They gave us some very good information on where to get a really good sandwich just on the other side of the ICW from where we were docked and they told us where we should dinghy to. Thank you Ben and Trisha - the sandwich was great and the dinghy trip up the Old River was outstanding!

They gave us the slip I wanted!  Our stern facing the ICW and we could watch all the boats go by.  What a view!!!!

Check out the jet ski names at the Sunset Grill playground!

After we were settled in we had lunch at the Sunset Grill then rode our bikes to the beach and down to the Oyster House checking things out.  After this it was time to take Teak out for some exercise.  Check out this mailbox that we passed.  I had a bird house like this once!





Right off of our boat you could see four islands for me to paddle board around tomorrow.  Board's inflated and ready to go!



As the sun was going down a young man named Ben came out with his drone.  He asked if he could fly it around our boat (WOW! he actually asked for permission!) and we said sure.  Below is a video he sent to us.



May 24 - First thing in the morning I took my paddle board out and had a great time paddling around the islands.  Dolphins were swimming and birds were singing all around me.  I have been waiting the whole trip to do this.  Wish I could stay here forever!


After I got back we put the dinghy in the water and headed out down Perdido Key island.

Beach, beach and more beach!  The island goes for miles.  This is a must do during a week day because during the weekend it's really crowded.




Josh acting like the heron!

 




We took Ben and Trisha's advise and tied up at the boat launch so we could go to Hub Stacey's At The Point for sandwiches.  It was good!

After lunch we headed back to the boat to let Teak out before heading out to do the Old River to Orange Beach.  When we got on the boat Josh told me that my paddle board was deflated - what could have happened?  I just used it earlier and was planning on using it again this evening and tomorrow morning.  I decided to check it out after we get back from our second dinghy trip.

Flora-Bama on the Old River





The Old River empties out into the Perdido Key / Orange Beach offshore cut.

After we got back, we pumped up my paddle board and placed it on the back platform for me to use the next morning.  As Josh was handing it to me on the platform I heard a hissing sound.  My board was leaking at a seam.  No more paddle boarding for me and I was really bummed!  Not a happy camper!!!!!!



May 25 - This is what my morning paddle boarding would have been like.  I was not happy!  We took our time putting our dinghy away, did some laundry and headed back to Palafox for the long weekend.  All the locals tell us that it's best to stay off the water because it's going to be really packed and crazy.  Not what we want to deal with!



No comments:

Post a Comment