We all headed out around 8:15 AM with S/V Faith as our lead boat for the day, to arrive at our first bridge opening after the blackout period was over at 8:30 AM. As we were waiting, a Coast Guard boat came up, heading out also, and (yes) we were all boarded. They started with S/V Morning Star, then moved on to us and then over to S/V Faith. They were very friendly and nice, even Teak behaved herself (only barked a little!). We went through two locks with no problems except as we were leaving the second one, Harvey Lock, our bow thruster stopped working. This is not a good thing! Someone will have to dive (not me!) in Lafitte with all the gators or Houma with the murky water. One thing that I have learned is when going through the locks, it’s best to put a bumper all the way to the stern and at the bow (big bumpers are always better!). As the locks close and open you tend to rock back and forth. Our bow and stern thrusters are great and I will hopefully always have them working but as you can see, anything can happen!
Barry called the owner of the boathouse barge that we tied to before in Lafitte and he said we could do it again. Since we were going to get into Lafitte so early in the day and we would have nothing to do, we decided to have a conversation regrouping on channel 68. The consensus was to keep going onto Houma even though we would have to travel a couple of hours in the dark. Josh decided to make some phone calls to see if we could get a diver in Houma and one place priced him $200.00 or more and another place priced him $495.00 plus travel time. We are not going to have our bow thruster checked in Houma! The trip to Houma was not bad, actually it was a very nice night. S/V Faith did a great job navigating and “tow talking” for us. All of the tow captains were very friendly, helpful and worked with us the whole way. We arrived and all tied up at the Houma City Marina around 7:15 PM.
our next boat (currently under construction)